My name is Rachel Flanagan and I am a personal trainer and fitness coach in Pittsboro, North Carolina. If you’re interested in working with me, here are the top five things you might like to know about me:
5. I love running in the hard rain. The harder it’s raining, the better. It’s weird, I know—but don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. Same goes for snow, but that doesn't happen too often around here.
4. I love cookies, especially Girl Scout cookies. So much so that even the smell of Caramel Delites makes me see hearts, stars, and purple unicorns.
3. I am a self-proclaimed fitness junkie. I've done lots of your typical sports and fitness activities—gymnastics, skiing, Pilates, yoga—but I also played rugby in college and for NYRC after college, which lead to three knee surgeries. After the third knee surgery, I had to find another outlet for my competitive itch. I somehow convinced myself that marathon training would be a good idea, so I ran three of them, plus a bunch of other half marathons and shorter races. I now work out my daily frustrations on the weight bench more than out on the road, but still run a bit so I can be out in the fresh air.
2. I like wine. Red in particular, but hey, if you’re handing me a glass of wine and it happens to be white, I won’t turn it down. Same goes for a good IPA.
1. I love to help people discover how much they enjoy being fit and strong. The look on someone’s face when they’ve done their first push-up off their knees or after they’re beaten someone in a sprint—especially when they keep telling me how slow they are—is priceless. I find that people constantly underestimate themselves, especially when it comes to fitness. I tell people all the time that they can do way, way, way more than they think you can.
I’m also known as the five foot wonder in some circles (thanks to my lilliputian stature), and some other choice nicknames from my rugby playing days, but for now I’d like to be called your trainer, coach, motivator, or whatever word you’d like to use for me, as long as you can say it in front of your kids.
Come join me for a workout, either in class or one-on-one. I can’t wait to see what you’re going to accomplish.
I also invite you over to Everyday Rudys, my blog about inspiring people. My other passion is writing--I love telling stories about interesting people.
Photography by the incredibly talented Ashley Freuler of Maud Photography